Saturday, March 7, 2009

Post-op Day 2

Last night was rough. Carson woke up around 1:30 a.m. in extreme pain in his chest, back and left side. The nurses returned quickly with extra pain medication and learned that his i.v. line was blocked and needed to be flushed...therefore Carson was without ANY pain meds for a few hours. He was not a happy guy. Throughout most of the morning they kept him comfortable and then a nurse from pain management pulled on his left arm abruptly to see how far he could move it...this was not good. Let's just say he let her know how bad it felt. Finally around 5:30 a.m. we got to sleep only to wake again for 6:30 breakfast and more poking, prodding,breathing exercises, breathing treatments, drainage checks and the list goes on...
Doctors removed the chest tube, epidural and catheter! Yay! He has been walking the halls and now off any i.v. meds.
When his parents arrived, I decided to go back to our hotel for a few hours of sleep and a shower. Not sure how much I have slept in the past week, but I know it is not our normal 8 hours a night.
Good news is that we should be on our way home to Waco tomorrow. The few complications we saw yesterday have begun to clear up as well as some reactions to the narcotics.
Carson is in great spirits! He showed a little more of himself today and more than anything is ready to be home. I have to brag on him too-he was a very good patient this entire time and although I know it will be tough getting him back to normal, I have no doubt in my mind that he will bounce back soon. There has been was little damper on our evening...the power to the hospital went out around 7:15 pm and has left us with no lights or TV. Carson was pretty bummed, but it is a good excuse to sleep a few extra hours, especially since we SPRING forward an hour tomorrow.
Thank you again for you support. I will keep adding updates as new things come up. John & Corinthia are coming back to Waco with us tomorrow to help with settling in, so please keep us in your prayers for safe travel with our precious cargo.
Thank you again.

God Bless,
Kelsey & Carson


Bridget Fuselier said...

I am so happy to hear that Carson is progressing well and you will both be home soon. We will be back in Waco on Wednesday or Thursday and if there is anything at all I can do to help--bring a meal, some DVD's, anything--please don't hesitate to ask. Tell him "the Fuse" said to keep up the good work and we can't wait to see him back at school! Take care. Our prayers are with you both.

Bridget Fuselier

Callan Searcy said...

Kelsey and Carson,

I'm so happy that ya'll will be able to come home soon, and that Carson is doing better.
You are both in my thoughts and prayers!

Callan Searcy

Anonymous said...

Same here. If y'all need anything, you have an army of law students at your disposal. Be safe coming home.

We love you guys,

Terah Moxley

Anonymous said...

Carson and Kelsey,
Glad to hear some positive news! Hopefully getting back to your home will speed up recovery even more. Still praying for you both!

Jay Ylda

Anonymous said...

I love and miss you both...

Im sorry I couldnt come down there.. blame it all on dad :) I will be there being Nurse Jade during spring break!

I guess carson won't be up for any wrestling anytime soon.. wait...this is my chance to win once!! :)

Im praying for you bubs and kelphy..

I love you both. see you soon!